Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Motivation

I was recently asked to consider why I chose to join the Peace Corps.  I was reminded of my Peace Corps application, which requested a "Motivation Statement". Here is an excerpt from that, written circa August 2013: 
I have finally decided to apply to the Peace Corps after several years of consideration.  I learned about the Peace Corps for the first time in middle school during a unit on globalization.  I was enamored with the idea.  In high school, I became better acquainted with the program as one of my favorite teachers often shared pictures and stories from his service in Guatemala to our Spanish class.  I began to do some of my own research in college, attended a Peace Corps workshop at my university, and spoke with a recruiter about possible placement options... My experiences in volunteering, working, studying, and traveling have prepared me for Peace Corps service.  Both the second and fourth Core Expectations speak to my heart.  They are expectations that I have tried to exceed, even before applying to the Peace Corps.  I not only apply because this is something that I want to do, but because this is something I know I can do well.   
It is funny to try to remember what was going through my head at the time--before I knew I would be placed in Belize, before I knew what type of project I would be doing.   I do find my tone in this statement a little bit cringe-worthy, though.  I think it lacks sincerity; I was surely more concerned with selling myself as a good candidate than baring my soul for judgement by Peace Corps recruiters.  Who could blame me?  I was working full-time in a competitive corporate environment where you were defined by your resume.  Well, two years later, I still think everything in this statement is true, but my motivations have shuffled around in order of importance.  Now, it is less about me and more about students, neighbors, friends, and colleagues I have met in the past year and a half. 

Love always, 
Jess











#BloggingAbroad 

Challenge #1 = Your Why

No comments:

Post a Comment