Sunday, January 10, 2016

A Trip to Town

Two or three Fridays per month, I wake up at 6:45, hop out of bed with a pep in my step, get ready with gusto, make myself a cool cup of instant coffee, and eat my morning tortilla with a smile because...TODAY IS A CORO DAY.  I'm on the bus that passes by my house by 8:00 headed to Corozal Town.

Corozal, the closest town to my village, is thirty minutes away by bus.  It is a seaside town with incredible views of the Corozal Bay which opens to the Carribean Sea.  It is the largest town in the district of Corozal with about 10,000 residents.  There is a daily market with fresh fish, lots of veggies, and SO MUCH FRUIT.  There are plenty of little shops for stocking up on supplies essential for life in tropics: biodegradable laundry powder, deodorant, etc.  There are even little restaurants on the water aimed to attract tourists where a few of us northern volunteers have been known to enjoy a leisurely lunch.  (Wood-fired pizza? What a novelty!)

Starting the trek back to the village, I'm always contented for having spend the day soaking up the sun and basking in the sea breeze.  

January 8, 2016

Love always,
Jess











#BloggingAbroad 

Challenge #3 = A Day In My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment