Thursday, November 26, 2015

Moist

The end of November can be a tough time for a Peace Corps Volunteer.  I’m headed into the second holiday season without my friends and family at home.  Everyone is chatting about their Thanksgiving plans, and social media is getting increasingly Christmasy.  On top of that, I have to miss the most beautiful North Carolina season—fall.  

All of that aside, I am adapting to the two-season model we have here in Belize.  As typical of tropical locales, the temperature stays more-or-less stable throughout the year, but the seasons are marked by increased precipitation.  We are well into the rainy season, now.  One of the things I will always remember about life in Belize is falling asleep to rain pattering on the zinc roof.  There are few sounds in the world that I find so relaxing.  

With the arrival of the cloud-cover come slightly cooler temperatures.  Today, I walked my normal route to the community center without breaking a sweat.  The mosquitos seem to have gone into hiding from the relative cold.  (I won’t use this opportunity to talk about how they have been replaced with biting flies.)  I may, or may not, have worn a long-sleeved shirt yesterday because waking up to temps in the 70’s made me feel cold.  It is so amazing how quickly I lost tolerance for cool weather…the first winter back in the states may be rough.  

More riveting, weather-based blog posts coming your way soon.  JUST KIDDING!  This is probably the last one.


Love always, 
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment