Friday, November 27, 2015

Celebrating Garifuna Settlement Day

Apart from annual leave days (think vacation days that can be used to travel out of the country), Peace Corps volunteers are allowed three nights out of site per month.  Personal days, as they are known in this world of many, many invented terms, can be used in town to get fast internet or other luxuries I shall never again take for granted, to visit friends in other villages in the furthest corners of the nation, or at well-known attractions throughout Belize.  This month, I took my personal days to celebrate the national holiday known as Garifuna Settlement Day (November 19) in a village where the Garifuna people's arrival to Belize is reenacted complete with costumes, drumming, and dancing.  




I am not sure how to describe the story of the Garifuna and their relation to Belize's diverse culture in my own words, so I direct you to the links below:



Love always, 
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment