Saturday, November 28, 2015

Meet My Host Family

Okay, this is a post mostly for my mom's benefit.  She is coming to visit and wants to know a little bit about each member of my host family.  These are the folks I've lived with for well over a year, now.  They welcomed me with open arms and have provided so much support to me throughout my time here.  My host parents are quick with advice on the projects I'm carrying out, and my host siblings are a source of much needed fun and whimsy.

Carlos- Dad. Carlos is a retired officer of the forestry department.  He is originally from the village and lives near many of his siblings who have consequently become my tíos (aunts and uncles).  I've been lucky enough to attend extended family events such as weddings and birthdays.

Shawmane- Mom. Shawmane is actually from the south of Belize, but she moved up to the north when she married Carlos.  Her family is Kriol, meaning they speak the English-based language among each other.  Shawmane is an amazing cook.  She makes a large variety of dishes from both the Kriol and Mestizo (predominant in Mexico) cultures.

Carlos, Jr.- Sibling #1, 20.  The younger Carlos works as a security guard at a commercial center.  He helps with the family's expenses and enjoys spending time with his girlfriend.

Jerry-  Sibling #2, 17. Jerry works as a vendor to local grocery stores.  He is the jokester of the family, sure to lighten the mood, if need be.

Jenny-  Sibling #3, 13. Jenny is in her first year of high school.  She is very studious; I enjoy helping her out with homework from time to time.  She is also very patient with me when I ask questions that must make me look like an impossibly inept 25-year-old, such as how to open a can without a can-opener.

Allan- Sibling #4, 8.  Allan is in Standard 2, the equivalent of third grade.  He loves to play marbles before school.  He is also a quick footballer (aka soccer player).

Leah- Sibling #5, 5. Leah is in Infant 1, the equivalent of Kindergarten.  She is full of spunk, as the youngest of five must sometimes be, and she is very interested in my mysterious American ways.  We share a love for peanut butter.

I feel incredibly lucky to have such lovely people to invite me into their home.  I have become rather fond of them during my time here.

Love always,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment