Sunday, February 7, 2016

In Memoriam

For those of you that didn't know, my host father passed away last month.  The father of five left behind a young family that misses him terribly.  Carlos will be remembered fondly by me and many others.  He was the kind of person that knew no enemies.  He was generous, sure to give whenever he had.  

Carlos was a big part of bringing me to the village.  As story has it, Peace Corps really struggled in finding a host family, but he stepped up when his family was approached at the last minute.  He became a great resource for me as he was able to introduce me to many different community members.  I enjoyed getting to know his extended family that live throughout the Corozal district.  

His family, having lived in this village from its inception, has a rich history that I enjoyed hearing about after meals as we sat around the table.  Carlos was quick with a joke, never a boring storyteller.  I was captivated by tales that incorporated ancient Mayan traditions and mystical explanations for supernatural events.  

I will never forget, that after three nights of living in my host family's house, he said to me, "Jessica, my wife and I feel like we have known you for many, many years."  And, in a way that I cannot really explain, I feel the same.  Maybe it is the way  that this family has protected me, taught me, and accepted me, but as I visited the spot that Carlos was laid to rest, I felt as though I lost a friend I had know for many, many years.


Love always, 
Jess

#BloggingAbroad 

Challenge #6 = Community Member Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment