Monday, June 8, 2015

What's Cooking? Powder Buns

1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
pinch of salt
3/4 cup shortening
3 tsps vanilla
6 tsps baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cup margarine
2 1/2 cups of sugar
tsp nutmeg
6 cups flour
  • Mix flour, salt, and baking powder.
  • Add sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. 
  • Add shortening and margarine. Cut into flour mixture.
  • Add vanilla and evaporated milk and mix.
  • Use tablespoon to drop on greased baking sheet.
  • Bake at 375 F. for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

These have got to be one of my all-time favorite Belizean snacks.  They are great for breakfast and have come to replace muffins, pastries, doughnuts, bagels, etc. in my diet.  I have to admit; I had to do a little research in order to find the amounts of all the ingredients because my host mom has a magical method of adding a dash of this and a pinch of that to make delicious buns every time.  

Love always, 
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment